Chairman: Prof. Dr. M. Kaleem Raza Khan
The department of English was established in 1955. Dr. Muhammad Ahsan Farooqui was the first head of the department. The department was located in Shivjee Murarji building in Nanakwara. Later in January 1960 when the university moved to its present location, the department was housed on the first floor of the Old Block in the faculty of Arts. Professor Dr. Ahsan Farooqui was the first head of the department of English. Prof. Dr Ali Ashraf, Prof. Maya Jamil, Prof. Dr Muzaffar Hussain and Prof. Dr Kalim-ur-Rahman were among notable chairpersons. The department offers masters programme in both English literature and linguistics in the Morning as well as Evening. Prof. Maki Kureshi is one of the internationally reputed Pakistani English poets.
Students of the department of English have entered a variety of vocational fields. Some of these fields are: CSS, Advertising, Media (T.V., Radio, Newspapers, Magazines, etc.) Banking, Business, Teaching, Educational Administration, Research, Translation, to mention only a few. Excellent job opportunities are available for the students of English department in the country and abroad.