M.S. / Ph.D.
The BS (Computer Science) leads to MS (Computer Science) of two year duration with eight full courses each of 3 credit hours.
- Candidates having BS (CS) degree of University of Karachi or recognized by the University of Karachi with CGPR at least 2.4
- Candidates having MCS degree of University of Karachi will have to appear in the department's admission test.
- All selected students will required to complete 8 courses (3+0 and/or 2+1) of 24 credit hours in two semesters.
- In each semester there will be 4 courses of 3 credit hours (3+0 and/or 2+1) each.
- The student has to pass the course work with CGPA 3.00 or more. In case the student fails to get the desired CGPA, he/she will be allowed to improve the grade. Only one chance for improvement will be given.
- At-least 75% attendance in the course work is compulsory.
- In case the candidate fails to get the required CGPA 3.00, a P.G.D. in the discipline will be given.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MSCS-701||Theory of Computation and Logic||3+0|
|MSCS-703||Advanced Database Systems (ADS)||2+1|
|MSCS-705||Parallel Computing : Hardware Systems (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-707||Machine Learning Systems (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-709||Topics in Computer Graphics and Image Analysis (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-711||Applied Software Project Management (Optional)||2+1|
|Course Number||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MSCS-702||Advanced Algorithmic Design and Analysis||2+1|
|MSCS-704||Advanced Data Communication and Networks||2+1|
|MSCS-706||Parallel Computing : Software (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-708||Topics in Software Engineering : Formal Methods and Models (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-710||Bayesian Networks and AI (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-712||Data Mining (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-716||Advanced Topics in AI (Optional)||2+1|
|MSCS-718||Most Recent Trends and Developments in Software Engineering that are not covered by existing courses. IEEE's Software Engineering Notes, Relevant Periodicals, Journals will be used as course contents. (Optional)||3|
The specific areas and/or courses are:
Software Engineering, Database, Artificial Intelligence, Multimedia and Graphics, System Engineering, Computer Network and Computer Science education
Confirmation of Admission:After passing the course work with CGPA 3.00, the student will apply through proper channel for confirmation of admission and approval of research title. The student will submit a synopsis along with research topic, bibliography, name of Research Supervisor and a copy of the marks certificate issued by the Semester Examination Section.
Duration of Study:
The duration of M.S. or M.S./Ph.D. or Ph.D. program is as under:
a) M.S. Minimum 2 and maximum 5 years from the date of provisional admission.
- Minimum 1 and maximum 5 years from the date of conversion from M.S. to Ph.D.;
- Minimum 2 years and maximum 5 years for those admitted directly to Ph.D.
- Students holding M.Phil without coursework (degree received before 2008) will be required to take 6 credit hours of PhD coursework (800 level). Supervisor may recommend additional courses.
Evaluation & Award of M.S. Degree:
The thesis will be evaluated by two experts and the supervisor. The viva voce examination will be conducted after receipt of positive reports from the experts and their approval by the BASR. On successful defense of the thesis, M.S. degree will be awarded.
Conversion to Ph.D.:
If the student passes the course work in CGPA 3.0 or more, he/she will be given a research project by the supervisor which will be processed through BASR. After one year of research, a student may apply for conversion from M.S./Ph.D. to Ph.D. through BASR.
Evaluation & Award of Ph.D. Degree:
- The student has to take two courses of the relevant subject of 3 credit hours (800 level) each.
- The candidate has to publish at least one research paper in any reputable journal during his /her research work.
- The thesis will be evaluated by two foreign experts and the supervisor. The viva voce examination will be conducted after receipt of positive reports from the experts and their approval by the BASR. On successful defense of the thesis, Ph.D. degree will be awarded.
The test comprise of 80 questions from following areas of Computer Science courses and 20 from English and General Knowledge. The areas of Computer Science includes the following subjects
- Artificial Intelligence
- Theory of Computer Science and Automata
- Computer Architecture
- Operating System
- Data Structure
- Algorithm analysis and Design
- Software Engineering
- Concepts of Programming Languages.
- Data Communication and Networking
- Mathematics and Statistics (According to BSCS (DCS-UoK) courses)
Download Sample Test Paper